Thursday, July 24, 2008

Taking a Risk

"If you feel that you were off to a
good start but are currently
stalled, you need to admit to
yourself that you have probably
slipped back into your comfort
zone.

More than likely you have been deceiving yourself that you are making progress, but at the same time you are really not getting anywhere.

What you need to do is take action.
Even if it is a very small action.

Nothing you can tell yourself,
nothing you can say to others,
nothing you can think or feel
or imagine is going to get you
out of the mental bog you're
mired in.

The only thing that can rescue you is -

to take that next step.

Maybe you know what that is.
If you know exactly what it is,

DO IT!

If you don't know, or aren't sure,
allow you intuition to guide you.
Do whatever you feel compelled to
do, but do it NOW to get yourself
going again -- even if it means
entering. . .

. . . your discomfort zone.

Dr. Robert Anthony

As your are reading Dr. Robert Anthony’s quote, what thoughts are your thinking?

Recently, I have been living in my comfort zone. It was time to step out and take a risk.

This morning I pushed myself to go on the treadmill and lift weights. At first it was a struggle and after five minutes I started to feel better. After finishing I felt energized and could not understand why I have not been exercising daily.

While on the treadmill I was thinking of what small steps a person could take to step out of their discomfort zone. Following are a few steps you can take:

1. Plan to do something for a short period of time and then take a break. Exercise for only 10 to 20 minutes.
2. Take small steps that you feel comfortable taking.
3. Ask someone to support you. Call a friend and schedule time to walk together and then have a cup of coffee or tea.
4. As Nike says, “Just do it!”
5. Tell yourself you will try something new (i.e. Not eat sugar from 8:00am to 9:00am.) Then reward yourself by bragging about your accomplishments on the Love Yourself – It Matters! Blog.

Now it is your turn to add your thoughts. Let's share our accomplishments with each other. It is easy just click on the comment link below. Helen

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not allowing my husbands moods determine how I feel. I will try for 5 minutes when he gets in his nasty mood not to react and do something kind for myself. This is way out of my comfort zone!I will keep you posted...
Mindi

Helen Burton said...

Hi Mindi:

WOW for stepping out of your comfort zone and creating a loving environment. Love Mom

NicciN said...

Such great advice.

I am thinking that I keep avoiding my website content. I need to write it, yet I continue to procrastinate it. I need to just do it.

Helen Burton said...

Hi Yertle:

Been there and done that. One day the inspiration will flow. Thanks for participating in the Love Yourself - It Matters! Community. Helen