Saturday, August 2, 2008

Happy Childhood Memories

As you are reading this blog, think about the times in your childhood when you felt happy and secure. Did you have a favorite craft, stuffed animal, toy, or shared a special time with someone?

While reading the book, “The Friday Night Knitting Club” by Kate Jacobs, I started thinking about the times when I learned how to knit. In the evenings sitting in the kitchen with my mother we would knit and she would tell me stories of her childhood. I remember how happy and content I felt. The best part was my sisters were sleeping, my father was reading the newspaper and I was alone with my mother.

As I entered my teenage years the knitting was put aside. I did not pick up the needles and yarn again until I was pregnant with my daughter and started making baby clothes. I continued knitting until my daughters were three or four years old. Tried again when my grandson was born and made him a sweater. That was the end of the knitting era for me.

Last weekend I walked by a knitting store and felt the urge to knit a scarf. Not acting on my inner feelings I walked by and thought about it all week. Yesterday I walked by the same store and acted on the impulse to walk inside.

Once inside the store I saw all the beautiful yarns and allowed myself to try knitting a row. It is amazing how I remembered instantly how to cast on, knit and purl stitches. My daughter made the comment, “Knitting is like riding a bike you never forget.”

I treated myself and bought the yarn, needles and instructions to make a scarf. Last night while listening to music I worked on my scarf. It was so relaxing and I thought about the times I sat in the kitchen with my mother and we both knitted together.

Today as I was telling friends about my knitting experiences it brought a smile to their faces. They started sharing how they learned to knit and how happy it made them feel.

Now it is your turn to share your childhood memories about your favorite craft, stuffed animal, toy, or a special time you spent wtih someone. Leave your stories on the Love Yourself – It Matters! Blog. I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Helen

3 comments:

NicciN said...

Wow, you reminded me that I have been wanting to knit another scarf. I should do that.

You also reminded me of something I have not thought about in a long time -- latch-hooking. Maybe I should try to find one somewhere. How fun!

Helen Burton said...

Hi Yertle:

Isn't it fun to think about things we put on hold for years? Helen

Anonymous said...

Helen,
I remember my mother knitting and crocheting. She tried to teach me how but she was left-handed and we never got very far. In retrospect, I think that it was because my attention span for needlework just was not there.

Fortunately, it was replaced by a love of music. Recently, while working in my kitchen, I turned on big band music and that's when the memories came flooding back. My mom used to listen to the radio when she was working in her kitchen. I felt that same warm feeling in my own kitchen that I used to have when I watched Mom prepare meals. Thanks for the walk down memory lane.
Pat