Friday, June 20, 2008

Focusing On What You Have

Comparing my insides to other people's outsides causes me problems.
--Joan Rohde

Isn’t it amazing how sometimes you think other people have it better than me? I remember passing a beautiful home and thinking, “Boy those people must be happy they have such a beautiful home.” As it turned out a few months later, I met the owners of the house at a party and to my surprise they both seemed so unhappy. The husband was nasty and the wife had such low self-esteem. You never know!

The secret is to acknowledge what you have instead of thinking other people have it better than you. Easier said than done!

Paula, name changed, had a great job and beautiful home. She never appreciated what she had, only focused on what she did not have. Paula thought everyone’s life was better and easier than hers.

We started working together and the first exercise I had Paula do was to look in the mirror every morning and say,”Life is good.” She had a hard time repeating the words. About a month into the process she was looking into the mirror and started to feel her life was getting better. What a great moment!

Continuing the process every morning it became easier and easier. Once Paula started enjoying her life, I had her acknowledge people for their kindness and journal each night what she enjoyed about her life. As time went on Paula woke up each morning and thanked the Universe for the special gifts she was receiving everyday.

Today Paula lives life from a different perspective and looks for the goodness in everything instead of what is missing.

Now is your turn to change your perspective. Plan on looking in the mirror every morning and saying, “Life is good.” Please let me know what special gifts you start receiving.

Helen

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Today I have a strong body and it will carry me the miles it needs to go. I will be satisfied with my efferts and not compare them to the other athletes. I am here because I want to be here not because I have to be here, I enjoy endurance and just because I am not as fast at others does not mean I do not belong here. I am happy with what I have!!!!

Helen Burton said...

Hi Mindi:

What a beautiful gift you are giving yourself. Enjoy the experience! I am so proud of you. Mom

Anonymous said...

I rocked today!